Ryan is the marketing manager with Conqur Endurance Group, organizers of world-class endurance experiences like the Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon. Ryan talks about his approach to event marketing and shares what it takes to create unique, world-class experiences for runners.
- Always leverage the data you have to make the best marketing decisions. Use a CRM to help you understand more about your customers
- Always think about how you can differentiate and stand out from your competition. Leverage technology to get an edge
- Get outside of your world and attend other events to get inspiration for yours
Time Stamped Show Notes
(Just click on the timestamp to skip to that portion of the show)
- [01:35] – Ryan previously organized public relations for the Los Angeles Angels and also handled the advertising for the Los Angeles Clippers.
- [02:10] – What does it take to create unique, world-class experiences for Athletes?
- [03:08] – The Biggest challenge to marketing events in southern California is competition.
- [04:25] – Athletes have high standards as customers and it is important to keep up with those expectations.
- [04:56] – Effective marketing campaigns and some of Ryan’s most successful techniques
- [05:43] – Using innovation to stand out from the crowd. Ryan embraced Snapchat Geofilters in coordination with the release of the new technology to maximize his event’s exposure.
- [07:36] – What are Snapchat Geofilters and how they can be used to engage your audience.
- [10:07] – Worst marketing campaign and what he learned. Ryan shares his experience trying and failing to engage athletes on social media with a hashtag contest.
- [12:27] – The challenges for messaging to diverse marathon participants
- [12:59] – Ryan’s tip to new event marketing managers: Trust the data!
- [14:15] – The not-so-obvious data that makes your event successful: what t-shirt sizes can tell you about your event participants.
- [15:00] – Ryan’s suggestions for marketing platforms that work: Email, Facebook, and training apps.
- [15:45] – Using tools like Sales Forces and Marketing Cloud to get the most out of Email.
- [15:23] – The opportunities that Facebook can open
- [17:20] – Training apps can be used to “Hyper-target” your clientele.
- [18:32] – Using Facebook ads in combination with Facebook Messenger
- [20:15] – Ryan’s picks for the leading and innovative companies to watch
- The NFL – At the forefront of Social Media and marketing technology
- Music Festivals – Taking the experience to a new level with fantastic marketing campaigns.
- [21:38] – How Conqur Endurance partnered with a creative app designer to create an original experience
- [22:24] – Ryan is looking forward to attending Social Media Marketing World and Coachella for inspiration.
- [23:17] – What are Ryan’s go-to marketing tools?
- Data tools: Google Analytics, imAthlete
- Creative tools: Canva, Photoshop, Adobe Spark
- [24:50] – The events that Ryan is looking forward to in 2018
- [26:34] – 'We need to focus on why our athletes are participating in these events. Tap into that and allow that to lead your marketing efforts.' - Ryan CavinderClick To Tweet
- [27:34] – Ryan shares his contact information
Resources & Tools Mentioned
- Conqur Endurance Group – a global endurance brand that channels the vibrancy of Los Angeles into experiences for individuals and communities to exceed extraordinary limits.
- Sales Force and Marketing Cloud – Email marketing tools
- imAthlete – Online Race Registration
- Canva – Easy to use design templates
- Adobe Spark – Mobile graphics design app
- Social Media Marketing World – Ryan’s conference of choice for 2018
- Google Analytics – Analyze website and marketing data
Subscribe to the Eventgrow show!
Show's coming up next:
Carly Graham – Night Nation Run
John Connors – Bigsley & The Color Run
JT Service – Soul Focus Events
Andy Reilly is the founder of Eventgrow and a digital marketing specialist for events. He's helped grow events like Spartan Race, The Color Run, and Rock ‘n' Roll Marathon series. He spends most of his time with his family, playing baseball or geeking out on the next marketing campaign that will change it all.